Another season of RuPaul’s Drag Race has come to a close! When last I wrote about this show, Robbie Turner was still in the competition. That’s how long it’s been! I didn’t stop recapping because I didn’t like the season. On the contrary, this was a very good season! I am just lazy and selfish and I wasn’t having as much fun watching it when I knew I would have to spend a few hours trying to write a description of the show that went beyond “I LOVE YOU CHI CHI” and ranting about Derrick Barry.
So anyway, if you’d like to talk about anything from those episodes, please do! The joys of Derrick’s belated elimination? The bittersweet sadness of Chi Chi’s? How much you gagged when Bob death-dropped during the video shoot? Other things that happened that I already forget?
But what we really need to talk about is Monday’s finale.
It was not at all a surprising outcome, but it was probably the right choice! I love Bob and I feel like I understand how season 6 felt for people who actually liked Bianca. I felt a little bad for Kim Chi because I think winning might have meant more for her than it does for Bob, but she’s going to be just fine. Naomi will probably either go the way of Pearl and get herself a legit modeling gig or become a member of the Logo Drag Queen Family and have a web series (a la Alaska, Raven, Raja, etc.), so I’m not worried about her either.
As for the show itself, let’s do this bullet-style!
- Violet Chachki looked AMAZING in that enormous gown. She’s kind of defaulted to naked/BDSM looks since winning so it was a refreshing surprise!
- Kim Chi’s not trying to catch anything, so she wouldn’t want to lose her virginity to ANY member of the Pit Crew. Of course the correct answer to the question would have been “Shawn” but this one made me (and RuPaul) cackle so I’ll allow it.
- I may have yelled “FUCK YOUR CANCER, YOU DON’T DESERVE THAT!” when Cynthia Lee Fontaine won Miss Congeniality which I’m not proud of but I do stand by. Justice for Chi Chi!
- Did Acid Betty dress like Sasha Belle on purpose or?
- In the pantheon of Drag Race catchphrases, where does “Purse first!” fall?
- I give Kim Chi so many props for not letting the producers bully her into telling her mom about doing drag. You know they must have pushed her hard because it’s not a Drag Race finale without an awkward video message from an estranged/bigoted relative meant to elicit tears. You tell your mom in your own damn time (or never, if that’s what works for you), Kimmy!
- I had no horse in the “Is Naysha’s butt real?” race but I really wish she would have answered by saying “It’s real, in that it exists.”
- I am 100% convinced that Naomi is actually a giraffe Animorph.
- Bob’s brother is cute
- KATYA I MISSED YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!